UNAA Victoria runs Model UNs in schools, universities and workplaces to actively train people in advocacy, debating and global thinking.
Each Model UN debates a topic related to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and develops a “new” UN resolution.
• Achieving Gender Equality: Empowering Women and Girls
• Asylum Seekers and Refugees: A Global Humanitarian Crisis
• Zero Hunger: Addressing Global Poverty and Universal Food Security
• Hear My Voice: Recognising the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
• Combating Climate Change: Committing to Global Action
• Planet Ocean: Protecting the World’s Oceans, Seas and Marine Resources
• Rewrite The Future: Quality Education For All
• Pathways to Peace: Addressing War, Conflict and International Security
• Sustainable Cities and Communities: Towards a Resilient Future
• A Responsibility to Protect: Preventing Mass Atrocity Crimes
• A Right to Freedom: Stopping Human Trafficking
• Enough is Enough: Ending Global Violence Against Women and Girls
• Fighting Back: The Global Response to Antimicrobial Resistance
• Wild for Life: Tackling the Illegal Wildlife Trade
• Space Research and Sustainable Development: Improving life on Earth?
• Modern Slavery: Today’s Greatest Threat to Human Rights?
A UNAAV Model UN is a full-day simulation of the UN General Assembly during which delegates step into the shoes of ambassadors from around the world and discuss contentious global issues – with the aim being to find the best possible solution through dialogue, negotiation and multilateral diplomacy.
“Most of our students would have never encountered a program like this that involves complex thinking, public speaking and group work in such a way that also allows student to explore complex views that they may have not seen before.” Teacher participant, 2015
Opportunities for secondary schools
Host a Model UN in your own school or join one nearby.
Our program is aligned with the Victorian curriculum and provides valuable opportunities for students to develop public speaking, debating, creative and critical thinking and teamwork skills.
Opportunities for universities
Give your students an opportunity to exercise global thinking, public speaking and team building skills or invite secondary school students in to experience your university by hosting a MUN for prospective students in your catchment.
Opportunities for workplaces
Our MUN program for workplaces is becoming increasingly popular as more and more Victorian companies adopt a more global view and want to provide employees with an opportunity to think more broadly and globally.
This is an exciting alternative to more traditional professional development programs.
Second-Language Model UNs
UNAA Victoria also runs Model UNs in languages other than English. Language Model UNs offer students the opportunity to practice the language they study at VCE level in a realistic international setting, debating global issues with students from other schools.
In 2020, in partnership with the Victorian Department of Education and Training’s Languages Unit, we are running language-specific Model UNs for VCE language students in Japanese, Italian, German, French and Indonesian.
Book your own Model UN
Book – or find out more about – a Model UN in your school, university or workplace by emailing Program Coordinator, Sally Northfield or call (03) 9607 1363
With the support of the Victorian Department of Education and Training through the Strategic Partnerships Program, UNAAV runs several Model UNs each year in regional and outer suburban government schools and Model UNs in other languages.
We thank the Victorian Government for its ongoing support of this program.