The UNAA Vic Young Professionals are celebrating the UN’s 75th anniversary. We want to know your opinion on the UN’s achievements through an essay or short video.
By entering in this competition, applicants will have a chance of winning a one-on-one mentoring opportunity. The selected work will also be published on the United Nations Australia Association (UNAA) website and shared on the UNAA YP social media channels.
Submit either an essay (up to 1000 words) or short video (up to 90 seconds) on the following question(s):
● In your opinion, what has been the most significant achievement of the UN in the past 75 years, and why?
● What impact does this achievement have on our lives in 2020?
The essay will be judged on the following criteria:
● Demonstrated understanding of United Nations values, principles and objectives
● Quality of analysis and ability to contextualise ideas within historical and current contexts
● Originality of content and demonstrated passion/interest for the topic(s) covered
● Quality of communication: clearly expressing ideas using grammatically correct and appropriate language
How to submit your essay or video
Email your essay or video to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject ‘UN 75th Competition’.
Submission deadline: 11.59pm, Friday 6 November, 2020
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
Winning submissions – Get to know our mentor
Our winners of the video essay and written essay competition will both receive a 1-hour mentoring session with UNAA Board Member Kerry Boland.
Kerry has extensive experience in humanitarian affairs and development, and has worked as a Protection Officer in UN agencies, including UNHCR, and UNICEF. This included working in conflict settings, including Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Chad. Kerry has as also worked as a tribunal member on Refugee Review.